1. Harry the hatchetfish is trekking towards the ocean surface with three of his friends, Ian, Johnny, and Kenny. They encounter a vicious fangtooth looking for his next meal, who asks the hatchetfish where they are from. (Why do this? Small talk gets the targets to let their guard down and makes them easier to catch.) The hatchetfish live at various depths of the Twilight Zone: 500, 1000, 1500, and 2000 feet. They answer as follows: anyone describing someone whose location of residence is shallower than their own tells the truth, otherwise they lie.
Harry says, "Ian lives at 1500 feet."
Johnny says, "Harry doesn't live at 500 feet."
The next day, the hatchetfish who lived the closest to the surface was tracked down by the fangtooth and his gang, and immediately devoured. Did Harry survive? If so, which of his friends did he lose?
2. Harry lives 1440 feet below the surface. (don't consider this when trying to solve Question 1) He can float upwards at 16 feet per minute. Meanwhile, a peckish anglerfish starts at the surface and descends at a speed of 24 feet per minute. How many minutes does it take for Harry to run into the anglerfish?
3. How far will Harry be from the halfway point of his journey to the surface at that moment?
4. Once Harry is done feasting on zooplankton, he descends back to his home in the Twilight Zone at a speed of 22.5 feet per minute. What is his average speed for the entire round trip?
5. Harry weighs 200 grams in his normal state (assume 0% body weight in air). When under attack, he can escape if he inflates himself so that at least 1/6 of his body weight is air. Today is Harry's lucky day; he has found a treasure chest overflowing with not gold doubloons, but bubble gum of every color in the rainbow! Each time Harry chews up a gumball, it can add 6 grams of air to his body weight. When Harry makes his nightly trip to the surface, how many gumballs must he bring with him in case he gets attacked?
6. Harry counts a total of 770 gumballs in his massive stash. He would like to share the gumballs with two lady hatchetfish he wishes to invite to a banquet at the surface with him. Harry keeps 3/4 as many as he gives to Laura, who gets 6/7 as many as Hannah. How many gumballs did each hatchetfish end up with?
7. Can the gumballs Harry keeps for himself last him the entire month of June before he needs to look for more?