How do you know if a program runs correctly or not? You check the results, or the output of the program. Sometimes the output is data, sometimes the output is a pattern like a Christmas tree. When printing out data values, you might want to generate the output in a certain format. For instance, dollar values should always have 2 decimal places, $2 should be $2.00.
B. System.out.println(), System.out.print() and System.out.printf()
- We know prints strings, values of expressions, or both.
- is similar, but always prints on the same line
- allows you to "format" the output such as the number of decimal places. For instance, prints Pi value with two decimal places.
System.out.printf() System.out.printf("%.2f", Math.PI)
- How to use System.out.printf() ?
- Did you print out a Christmas tree? Can you print a star on the tree top?
- How to print out a dollar amount with leading $ and two decimal places?
- How to print out two decimal values that are right aligned? For example,
4. Write a program that prints an animal speaking a greeting, similar to but different from the following. Notice to print '\', you need to enter '\\'. Learn more about escape sequences here.
/\_/\ ----- ( ' ' ) / Hello \ ( - ) < Junior | | | | \ Coder!/ (__|__) -----